Wednesday, January 25, 2012

It's already been a long week!


Hi all,

I promise I have not forgotten about the fact that I am blogging. Without internet at home and a lot going on it has been hard to blog. We should be getting internet at home any day and my blogging will continue. I spent all of last week looking at different places to live. I think about nine total. At the end of the week I was starting to believe I might be homeless. Well, just kidding really. At the final moment I decided to go with a group of four people to see an apartment I believed to only house four. I was quite bummed because I did not think I would be able to live with two girls that I really wanted to live with. We then starting talking amongst ourselves and realized that one of the rooms was big enough for three girls to comfortably live. Score!! The apartment seemed perfect... It was just the right size, perfect location, safe, and seemed like a quiet neighborhood. On Friday we went and signed our lease and our landlord was definitely not prepared. It took like two and a half hours to sign it after she prepared it. After that was all said and done two of the girls went to drop off some of their stuff. Come to find out our water heater blew. Ah! They had it fixed by the time we moved in. Good deal. Saturday we moved in and everything went smoothly. We also got our furniture delivered.  It is nice stuff too. Our couch is super comfy. Come to find out, we did not have hot water. Not okay. On Monday we found out that the heat setting on our hot water heater was never turned back on. Another downfall of our apartment is the heating system. The vents are towards the top of the apartment and blow directly on the windows. The first two days of living in the apartment were freezing. In total we bought four space heaters and I bought a heating blanket. Luckily, the weather outside is getting to be warmer and they came and put plastic on our windows. I’m hoping that it continues to get warmer in our apartment. We are really getting acquainted with the city and getting the grid like system down.
As far as the internship search goes I have picked six potential places that I would be interested in working at. The staff at TPC is working on seeing who wants to take an intern and getting me an interview. The internships are in social work. Some in a legal setting, a couple in a hospital, and one in a school. As of now I am waiting to see if I need to call for an interview or if my advisor is setting them up. I find out tomorrow morning.
We have had a lot of fun exploring the city, trying new foods, getting to know the others in the program. I am a bit homesick, but I am managing! I can’t believe my birthday is right around the corner. I love birthdays. I have both my classes on Monday. Power and Authority is on Monday morning. So far I really like the class. Monday nights is Abnormal Psychology. I really like having class only once a week. I need to make sure that I stay on top of my work and not procrastinate till Sunday night. I went to a zumba class. That was interesting. I could not really follow the moves, but I am still quite sore.
For the rest of the day we are going grocery shopping, laundry, and I am not sure what else. I attended an interviewing workshop and it was extremely helpful.
High: Really liking my roommates!
Low: It's so cold in our apartment!

Yours truly,
Katie

<--- This is me signing my first lease!

No comments:

Post a Comment