Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Mixed emotions


Today did not go as planned. Unfortunately when I woke up I felt like I had been hit by a bus. You know those big yellow ones that drive kids to school. Yeah, that one. My whole body ached, mostly my head. My roommate Elizabeth had also felt awful. This was not supposed to happen seeing that we had made plans for today. As I could barely get out of bed I soon realized that it was probably not a good idea to do much and I probably would feel awful spending hours in a museum. So I decided to play it safe on the couch. My roommates and I had to go to the Center for our morning caucus check. I looked at my hopeful potentials and saw no change. Big surprise. I came home and had a nice breakfast consisting of a cheese omelet and a bagel. I also took a Dayquil and some ibuprofen in hopes to combat this cold or whatever it was. I did homework for a while. A lot of reading that I was a bit behind on doing. Early afternoon I decided to take a nap that lasted about an hour or so. I slept excellently and was not even a bit cold. That doesn’t happen often in my apartment. I went back to the center for our afternoon caucus check. One of my hopeful internships had been labeled “not available”. That was the third one. Bummer. I decided to go talk to my advisor and see if maybe I should consider other options. Before I could talk he told me that all of my hopefuls were a bust. He gave me a list of five more to read about. I was back to ground zero. I actually did not freak out or even seem to mind. Ironic, I know. I looked in the files and decided that I was not completely sold on any, well maybe one. I went back to him with a couple of questions and he directed me to go talk to another advisor, Deborah. She is seriously one of the sweetest ladies ever. She and I connect very well and I always enjoy talking to her. She also felt really bad and was really committed to finding me an internship I really liked. We talked through some of the internships and she offered more suggestions that I might be interested in and seemed like a good fit for doing. Luckily, I found three that I was very interested in and we contacted them all. Unfortunately, the first two options no one answered so we left messages. The last one the supervisor said she would call us back. Within twenty minutes she had called back. I now have an interview tomorrow at 11am. Woo! It is at Defenders Association, which is a nonprofit agency that offers services to 70% of the arrested people in Philly. The specific department is the juvenile social services and I would be shadowing a social worker. I will know more information tomorrow after the interview. After taking care of all of that I came back home and the girls made cheesy potato soup for dinner and I made grands biscuits. We can tell who the real cook around here is not me. J I skyped with my cousins for about twenty minutes tonight and that was really nice. It was good to hear and see my support system even from afar! If you want to skype I would love it. My friend Alycia and I went to a bible study with young adults and it was so nice! Everyone was so welcoming and I felt really comfortable there. I can definitely see myself going back. I got back around 10 and worked on some more homework and studied the organization I am going to interviewing with. Overall the day was a good one and I am feeling much better. I hope to get a good night sleep and wake up feeling rejuvenated!
Goodnight!


low: waking up feeling bad.
high: my roommate did a wonderful job taking care of me!

 view outside my window!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment